Family History SkillsAre you new to genealogy? Would you like a refresher? With the Family History Skills you can learn about or brush up on vital records in the free member's benefit.
What Will I Learn?Students will learn how to
- record genealogical information;
- get started with information found in family and published sources;
- find twentieth- and twenty-first-century vital records;
- find birth, death, and marriage information for ancestors who lived in earlier centuries;
- use online finding aids and library catalogs; and
- write source citations for birth, death, and marriage information.
While using the Internet for genealogical research is not a course objective, the course does include links to websites that are relevant to the lessons. Some of these sites provide research aids, while others illustrate the information that can be found in the records discussed in the lessons.
To see the Family History Skills course syllabus, click here course syllabus.
Requirements & FeesThis course is a free NGS member benefit and it is not currently available to non-members.
When Can I Start the Course?
Certificate of Completion
This is an independent learning course and not eligible for a certificate of completion. Please note: The National Genealogical Society is not a licensing body, so no certification or accreditation is implied. For more information about certification or accreditation, please see Becoming a Professional Genealogist.
Contact the NGS Course Administrator at email@example.com.