Home Study Course Scholarship
Deadline for Submissions—31 December Annually
To encourage those pursuing a career in genealogy who have demonstrated serious interest in genealogy by attending regional and/or local conferences, undertaking genealogical training, and subscribing to genealogical publications.
One scholarship for the NGS American Genealogy: Home Study Course. The scholarship covers the cost of all three CDs as well as the grading of assignments and comments provided by experienced genealogists. This represents a value of $475. The award will be made by the National Genealogical Society, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization.
Each applicant must be an NGS member. The course is an in-depth learning opportunity aimed at the intermediate to advanced researcher. Applicants should have previous experience with recording genealogical information, with using family and published sources, and vital records, and with writing source citations for birth, death, and marriage information.
Note: Those who have previously enrolled in the Home Study Course or who hold a genealogical accreditation or certification are not eligible for the scholarship.
The application consists of a form for personal information and an essay. The essay provides the opportunity for applicants to describe
- why they intend to pursue a career in genealogy;
- the extent of their research experience;
- past and current genealogical education; and
- how the Home Study Course will aid in their career development.
The NGS Scholarship Committee reviews all applications. Notification of the award is made annually by 15 April and announced at the NGS Family History Conference.
Application for Home Study Course Scholarship
- Application Form (PDF 188KB)
- An essay of 500–1,000 words explaining why completing the Home Study Course would be a valuable educational experience
- e-mail the completed application (form and essay) to: firstname.lastname@example.org, include "Home Study Course Scholarship" in the Subject line of your message.
Questions? Contact the NGS Awards Chair at email@example.com.