Genealogical Standards and Guidelines
These Genealogical Standards and Guidelines are recommended by the National Genealogical Society for the benefit of those who wish to improve their skills and performance in genealogical pursuits. NGS is neither an accrediting nor an enforcement agency and does not determine whether its recommendations are being followed in any particular case. These recommendations serve their purpose when an individual decides that the
Standards and Guideline have been applied appropriately in a matter of personal interest.
NGS welcomes links to its Standards and Guidelines on other websites or their reproduction by others, as permitted by the copyright notice. However, such support from others does not assure that their websites or works conform to the recommended Standards or Guidelines.
- Standards for Sound Genealogical Research (PDF 5.81KB)
- Guidelines for Using Records Repositories and Libraries (PDF 6.19KB)
- Standards for Use of Technology in Genealogical Research (PDF 6.04KB)
- Standards for Sharing Information with Others (PDF 6.03KB)
- Guidelines for Publishing Web Pages on the Internet (PDF 6.44KB)
- Guidelines for Genealogical Self-Improvement and Growth (PDF 6.10KB)