Online CoursesHave you always yearned to learn the answers to questions such as
- From what country did my ancestors come?
- How long have we been in America?
- Was there a Revolutionary War or Civil War veteran in my family?
- When did the family farm or business begin?
If you are curious about your family history, NGS online & PDF courses will teach you about resources that answer the above questions and more. You can work at your own pace, mostly in the comfort of your own home. (Some assignments may require a trip to your local library or courthouse.)
You might test the waters with the free-to-members Family History Skills online course and then decide to take the in-depth NGS Home Study Course on CD or one or more of the courses below. Check back regularly for new online course offerings.
Requirements & Fees
You will need a computer and Internet connection to access NGS online courses. The course tuition is $45.00 for members and $70.00 for non-members. Join today to receive the member price for courses.
The newest offerings in the American Genealogy Special Studies consist of lessons, examples, exercises, and self-graded exams. The course is downloaded as a PDF file that can be viewed or printed on a home computer. Students work independently and check their work with an answer key that immediately follows each self-test. Because these downloadable courses are self-graded, no certificate of completion is awarded.
Online Interactive Courses
Online interactive courses are completed on the NGS website. Each course consists of
- objectives that identify what you will learn from the lesson;
- a screen-by-screen presentation of content with links to other websites;
- a glossary of terms and abbreviations used in the lesson; and
- a resource center consisting of web links, online and printed resources, online records, fact sheets, and other valuable material.
A certificate is awarded to students who complete an interactive online course.