Continuing Genealogical Studies: Researching Your Revolutionary War Ancestors
In Researching Your Revolutionary War Ancestors, author Craig Roberts Scott, cgSM*, fuga introduces you to numerous US records created for, during, and after the war for those who fought for independence and provides you with strategies to identify and locate information for an ancestor living at the time of the war.
Craig Roberts Scott is a nationally recognized lecturer, educator, and genealogical and historical researcher with more than thirty years experience. He specializes in the diverse military records at the National Archives.
What Will I Learn?
In this eight module course, students learn how to:
- identify an ancestor living at the time of the Revolutionary War;
- locate information about the service of an ancestor in the Revolutionary War;
- understand pension law and locate pension application files;
- locate pension ledgers, payment vouchers, last and final payments;
- locate information about the unit that the ancestor served in during the war;
- locate and understand the Compiled Military Service Record;
- compile a post-war record.
To learn more about Researching Your Revolutionary War Ancestors, see the course syllabus.
Requirements & Fees?
Researching Your Revolutionary War Ancestors is one of the cloud based Continuing Genealogical Studies courses offered by NGS.
To access the course, you need either a computer or tablet with an Internet connection. However, no software or material is loaded onto your computer or tablet.
The course consists of lessons, examples, exercises, and self-graded exams that can be viewed on a home computer. Students work independently.
When Can I Start the Course?
Please allow 3 business days to receive your registration e-mail from Canvas by Instructure. This e-mail provides you with login instructions and web link which are good for the 6 month duration of the course.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
All purchases of courses are final. No refunds are issued.
Certificate of Completion
Because Researching Your Revolutionary War Ancestors is a self-graded course, no certificate of completion is issued. The National Genealogical Society is not a licensing body, so no formal genealogical credential or accreditation is implied.
Want Something More?
Besides Researching Your Revolutionary War Ancestors, NGS also offers other Continuing Genealogical Studies courses.
- Genetic Genealogy, The Basics
- Introduction to Civil War Research
- Introduction to Religious Records
- Using Federal Population Census Schedules in Genealogical Research
- Working with Deeds
In addition, the American Genealogical Studies offer a series of advanced courses that are taken in order. These include:
- The Basics
- Guide to Documentation and Source Citation
*Certified Genealogist, CG, and Certified Genealogical Lecturer, CGL, are service marks of the Board for Certification of Genealogists used by the Board to identify its program of genealogical competency evaluation and used under license by the Board's associates.